Please join us on October 7th at our usual time and place. We will have two short presentations. First, we will finish up our Cemetery Class that ran over time last month. Dee LeClair will tell us about the benefits of using Creative Memory software with your photographs, and how it an help you with your cemetery research. Secondly, Vicki will give a short presentation on Identity Theft.
The remainder of the time will be for research!
What are some of the benefits of researching with
Our Genealogy Group at Clayton State University?1. There will be a lot of people there to help you over your brick walls!
2. You can use Ancestry.com for FREE at the University. You can bring your laptop and work in our class room. If you do, you will need to connect to the University's network, which is "Maurut". ( I might have spelled that wrong, but, you will figure it out) If you don't have a laptop, or don't feel like lugging yours to the class, you can use the computers in the library.
3. You can use Fold3 for FREE at the University.
4. Rosemary has a private library of Genealogy books for our use. You can see a list of the books available at the very bottom of this page.
5. You can get away from the distractions at home.
We are planning a field trip! Sunday Oct 21st! Get your tickets if you want to join us
"Spirits of McDonough City Cemetery Tour" The tour provides an entertaining look @ the history & heritage of Henry County through the people who experienced it. Nine 'spirits' dressed in period attire (Civil War thru early 1890's) will share tales of life as it was back then. Sat. October 20, 5:00 to 7:00pm & Sun. Oct. 21, 2:30 to 4:00.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE STATE ARCHIVES
I was asked to send this information out. Please share it with anyone you think could help. If you can make it to the rally, please go and show your support.
"Last week the Governor made a promise to "keep the Archivesopen". We are still waiting for the details of that promise. Did
he mean open at the current level, open by appointment only or what?
Seven employees have been given formal notice that their employment
will be terminated October 31. We cannot afford to wait for details
from the Governor's office."
Among other things, a rally is being planned for October 3 from noon to 1:00 in the Capitol.
Please check www.FOGAH.org for updates.
November's class will be about Citations! "Remember: Undocumented Genealogy is Mythology" A part of documenting is citing your sources.
We will have our annual holiday party in December at Rosemary's house.
Next year, we will be changing things up a bit. In the new year, we will have a person or two available from 2 to 3 pm before each meeting to help you "one on one" with your research. Then we will have our class, or meeting from 3 to 5 like usual.
Here is a recap of a few of the things we have discussed in 2012:
2. Genealogy Research Trips
3.The 1940 Census
4. Family Reunions
5.African American Research
6. Google Search Tips and Google Earth
7. Findagrave, and other Death Records
What can we bring you next year? Would you like to lead a class? Do you know of any "guest speakers" who would be helpful to our group? Does anyone know about, or want to discus their American Indian research? What about overseas research? Who wants to tell us about their DNA testing? We are waiting to hear from you. Send me an email with your ideas. firstname.lastname@example.org